Mohammad Hafeez banned from bowling for a year
NEW DELHI: Pakistani main player off-spinner Mohammad Hafeez bowling was banned for a year after his action was deemed illegal for the second time, the International Cricket Council said Friday.
The action 34 year old’s had been reported after the first test against Sri Lanka in Galle last month, but was allowed to play until the evaluation results were declared.
The evaluation, conducted in Chennai on July 6, revealed that Hafeez’s “elbow extension beyond 15 degrees while bowling and, therefore, he used an illegal bowling action,” said a statement from the ICC.
“As this report has been the player’s second report within two years, it is now automatically suspended from bowling in international cricket for 12 months,” the statement added.
Hafeez was reported earlier in the Abu Dhabi test against New Zealand last November. But in April, he was allowed to resume bowling after being tested at the same clinical biomechanics in Chennai.
This time Hafeez played in the second test against Sri Lanka in Colombo before traveling to Chennai. He missed the third and final test in Pallekele, but returned to take part in the first two games of the current one-day series where he claimed six wickets.
All-rounder Hafeez can also play in the remaining three one-dayers, but will not be allowed to bowl.
Hafeez has the right to appeal “any procedural aspect” of the independent evaluation which led to the automatic suspension, said the ICC.
“However, only after the expiry of this period of one year he will be entitled to approach the ICC for a reassessment of his bowling action,” the governing body added.
Hafeez, who made his international debut in 2003, claimed 52 wickets in 44 Tests, 129 wickets in 163 one-dayers and 46 wickets in 62 Twenty20 matches.